Monday, January 19, 2015

Firsts for 2015

First of all, this was going to be my last deer hunt of the season, first one for the new year though.  And since I hadn't gotten to hunt but one time way back in October, I was itching to go.

We got invited to a ranch south of Freer, Tx., in the famed brush country where I'd also be trying out my new AAC supressor that I had installed on my 7mm-08.

It was cold and misty when we arrived, perfect deer hunting weather, and my guide Joey was waiting to take me out as soon as we got unloaded.  20 minutes later, we were parked next to a brand new,  wheelchair trailer blind by Atascosa Wildlife Supply.  Let me just say that I've been in a lot of blinds in my life that were supposedly accessible, but this one was done right.  It's moblie, spacious (plenty of room for a chairbound hunter and a companion), the windows are the correct height and there's a ledge that runs around the entire inside for shooting off of.  I was impressed.

It was parked along the gravel road where we could also see down a scendero about 100 yds to a feeder.  I knew it was going to be a great afternoon.

We watched several good young bucks come and go, and finally settled on this one big cull buck to take out before it got too dark to see.  He was chasing does all over the place but the last time he came out on the road I was ready for him.

One shot, one kill on a big six!

No comments:

Post a Comment